We’re READY! We’re READY to offer you a volunteering opportunity like none other. No other volunteering opportunity offers you the chance to match your knowledge, skills and abilities with the demand for high performance and unmatched personal rewards and fulfillment.
We offer the opportunity for you to volunteer in the area that you feel most comfortable with, where you feel you can contribute the most, and where you’ll benefit the most from your volunteering experience.
Your Evans Center Volunteer Firefighters and First Responders serve their community by responding to a wide variety of situations, ranging from emergencies that immediately threaten life or property to routine citizen requests for information or assistance. They perform duties in fire suppression, emergency medical aid, rescue, hazardous material responses, traffic control, training, and public education.
Everything we do, we do as a team: Volunteer firefighters typically work under the supervision of a company officer as part of a chain-of-command, and are expected to function effectively as part of a highly trained team. They are also expected to perform their duties under adverse and very physical conditions that may pose a high risk of personal injury or exposure to hazardous conditions.
Our Volunteer Firefighters, EMS personnel and Fire Police are expected to participate in regularly scheduled training in order to maintain the high level of knowledge, skill and ability necessary to function safely and effectively as a firefighter in accordance with the high standard of performance we and our predecessors have established for our community.
The work performance of a volunteer firefighter is continuously evaluated by company officers for general knowledge, skill proficiency, and ability to work as part of a team. We work towards constant improvement and address deficiencies through coaching, mentoring, positive reinforcement and remedial training.
GENERAL DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrate a sincere desire to selflessly serve others with caring, compassion and respect
- Deal with the public courteously and effectively
- Maintain harmonious working relationships with coworkers by appreciating their value and contributions they bring to the organization; with an equal appreciation for the challenges they face in volunteering to the level they desire to serve
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Understand and execute specific orders or instructions
- React quickly and calmly in a stressful and hazardous condition
- Ensure that all work is performed in a safe manner, following all applicable safety guidelines. We work in real and potentially hazardous conditions to the extent of possible serious injury or loss of life.
- Recall facts and conditions observed while under severe physical and emotional stress.
No prior experience is necessary, but is always welcome. See which opportunity is the best fit for your time, talents and interests: